The World Famous Star Trek Theater
Inspired by the Enterprise NCC-1701D from Star Trek – The Next Generation, this custom themed theater is a masterpiece stationed in Palm Beach County, FL. However the identity of the owners is kept under coversâ€¦.wonder why? Adding to its honor, it was named the best theme theater installation at CEDIA 2007. This theater features motion-activated air-lock doors with series sound effect. You can also opt to press the â€œRed Alertâ€ button on the Crestron TPMC-10 controller to turn all of the LEDs bright red and flashing. The system also features â€œone of the largest Kaleidescape hard-drive based storage systemsâ€ ever created, amassing eight servers with 3,816 DVDs. Completed in 2006, the three areas took a total of six months. The end result was a theater, bar and ready room, measuring a total of 70-by-22 feet.
Q&A With the lead designer.
What was the home owner’s idea/goal for the job?
- A replica of the bridge of the Star Trek Enterprise.
What new ideas did you introduce that the home owner hadn’t thought off?
- We introduced the D-Box â€œmotion seatingâ€ so an entire row of seats has the incredible experience of â€œriding the moviesâ€.
In what way was the home owner surprised by the results?
- The homeowner was, to quote him directly, â€˜blown awayâ€™, that we, Acoustic Innovations and Audio Advisors, â€˜exceeded his expectationsâ€™. Point of factâ€¦the client is currently looking at building a new home with an even more totally over the top theater and entertainment space. Where the design is going I canâ€™t disclose at this time, but it will be unbelievable!
Was there a design theme to the project?
- Star Trek Theme with some classic science fiction memorabilia mixed in
What were the biggest challenges and how did you overcome them?
- Power Requirements, room acoustics and room acoustic isolation. The room has nine 800w amps that draw a lot of current and create incredible sound pressure.
How did you achieve integration of the electronics without impacting the look and feel of the home?
- The theater was designed and engineered with all the equipment pre-planed. All the equipment was integrated into the structure of the room.
How do you think the project most enhances the home owners/families life?
- This particular is a huge Sci-Fi fan. Having the ability to design a system to a hobby he was in love with creates a sense of accomplishment only some of us can experience.
Why did the homeowner select you for the job?
- We were originally recommended by the theater builder as the elite location for high-end AV and integration.
Did the homeowner know what he/she wanted or did you have to lead them through the possibilities?
- The homeowner knew exactly what he wanted the room to look like and how to perform. He was included in the design process from day 1 and supervised the entire project through to the end.
What aspect of the job has the most impact?
- The ability to create this overall look while still maintaining a incredibly high level of quality in sound and video impresses everyone that has the opportunity to visit. This theater gives a movie experience that puts even the best public theaters to shame.
How long did the job take?
- Initial design development meetings began in 2002 the project was completed in 2006. This space was part of the construction of a large new home that took about 2 years to complete. Actual fabrication and installation of all 3 areas took approximately 6-months.
What was the total cost of the job and equipment?
- Sony Q004R1 Qualia 004 SXRD Front Projector
- Sony VPLLZP550 Long Throw Lens for Qualia 004
- Stewart BRIC Masking Screen Control Interface
- Stewart EMSNH135H 135-inch Horizontal Masking Screen w/Micrpoerf
- Control System
- Crestron C2ENET-2 Dual Port Ethernet Card
- Crestron PRO2 Professional Dual Bus Control System
- Crestron TPMC-10-DS Docking Station/Charger
- Crestron TPMC-10 Isys i/O WiFi Touchpanel
- Crestron CNXRMC Room Solution Box
- DirecTv HR10-250 HD Satellite Receiver w/ TiVo
- GuiFX Game Server Computer Gaming System (Custom)
- JVC SR-VS30U Mini-DV / VHS Combo Player
- Kaleidescape KPLAYER-2500 Kaleidescape Digital Movie Player
- Marantz DV9600 Progressive Scan Universal DVD Player
- Mitsubishi HSU748 VCR, S-VHS
- Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD Player
- Algolith Mosquito HDMI 3D MPEG Noise Reducer
- Gefen EXT-HD-441 4 HDMI x1 DVI HD Switcher
- Key Digital KD-MSW8x3 Component & RGBHV Matrix Switcher
- JBL S100IC Synthesis Interconnect Kits (2)
- JBL S800 2-Channel THX Powered Amplifiers (9)
- JBL SDEC2500A THX Digital EQ/Crossover
- JBL SDP-40 THX Digital Surround Processor/System Controller
- JBL Synthesis K2 Synthesis Hercules System
- JBL K2S1000DG 3-way Dual 10-inch Hercules Center
- JBL K2S9800DG 3-way 15-inch Hercules Floorstanding (2)
- JBL S1A Dual 8-inch Dipole Ambient THX Surrounds (4)
- JBL S1S-EX 18-inch THX Subwoofers (4)
Power Conditioning/Surge Protection/Battery Back-up
- Panamax M1500-UPS Battery Back-up/Surge Protectors (2)
- Panamax MAX4400 Rack Mountable Surge Protectors, 20A (9)
- Richard Gray RGPC1200 Power conditioner
- Middle Atlantic ERK-4425 44-Space 25-inch Deep Stand-Alone Rack
- Middle Atlantic RRF-45 45-Space Rack Rails, pair (2)
- Moto-Fab Aluminum Seating Frame for D-Box (Custom)
- Odyssey 340c D-BOX Series 3 Controller
- Odyssey 4600p D-BOX XL-series Actuator Set
- Pacific Digital MF-810SW 8×10 Memory Frames (2)